New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pakistani Beef Karahi ~ AFF Indian Subcontinent #9



After reading this recipe, I learnt that Karahi was the cooking vessel. It looks like a wok, but the sides steeper.

And so, to serve this dish, it has to be done with a karahi/pan, if not, it won't be "Meat in a cooking pot".


There are many types of karahi dishes, from vegetables, paneer, chicken, mutton and also beef.  It is supposed to be a one pot dish, with everything cooked in the same vessel. But I guess as time goes by, the use of pressure cooker started and one uses more than one cooking vessel.

I actually cooked it in a big wok...and then drove out to buy this 'karahi' to serve. Haha, such things we will do for the sake of blogging!


My husband commented he didn't quite enjoy it due to the tang... there's yogurt and so much tomatoes! But my in laws enjoyed it. My beef was cooked til tender and melts in the mouth and if you prefer it to be firmer, just cook it to your preferred texture.




Pakistani Beef Karahi
Reference: Khanapakana and Robina Taimur (video) 

1kg stewing beef
750gm tomatoes
200gm onions

1/2 Tbsp chilli powder
1/2 Tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt

1/2 cup of oil or more*
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1 cup natural yogurt

Coriander, ginger strips and lime for garnish

1. Put beef, tomatoes and onions together into a pressure cooker. Add in all the dry spices. Let it cook for 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender. (if no pressure, cooker, just put everything together into a pot and cook for around 3 hours.
2. Heat a karahi (or wok), then put in oil. Cook the ginger and garlic until it smells good. Pour all the stewed beef in and let it cook until the gravy is nicely reduced. (regular pot cooking will have most of the liquids evaporated during the simmering).
3. Stir the yogurt until it turns watery. Pour this into the beef and stir it well. Let it cook until oil starts to float to the surface.
4. Turn off the heat and garnish with coriander, lime and ginger strips. Serve it in the karahi.

*Don't skimp on the oil if you want a shiny outcome. I learnt it the hard way.




Here is a video on how it's done in Lahore




I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indian Subcontinent Month

7 comments:

  1. Wendy, your Pakistani Beef Karahi looks very delicious! As always, you take beautiful photos and I love your styling. I also thought of buying those Indian crockery like kadai etc but my cupboard is so full already. Every time I want to take out any plate for photography have to kling klong kliang all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy....can u teach me how to make the [ roti ]....I means the roti u show it wit the beef karahi..thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,I am from Pakistan i always enjoyed reading your blog and make food using your recipe and it always taste good.In karhai we usually use goat meat or chicken meat,the propotion of meat n tomato is equal or little less tomato.we only use 2 tbsp yogurt in the end and no onion no tumeric,One most imp thing in the end sprinkle crushed fenugreek leaves which is very important for aroma.Sorry i could find your email ad just read it an delete it,If you found it impropriate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your blog subscriber and always looking forward to receiving your new recipe when it comes via email.
    Could you change the subject line to the title of the recipe? I move all your emails to a folder, they end up having the same title "Table for 2 ...or more", it's very hard to look for the recipe. Greatly apprecicate if you could change that.

    I normally buy the pre-mixed spice packet when cooking Pakistani food, and it's hard to control the level of spicyness. With your recipe, now my kids can enjoy it with us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aisha Jeewa,
    thanks for pointing that out to me, it's always great to hear from the perspective of someone from the country of origin. I get to learn more this way :)
    For this recipe, I followed the beef, tomatoes and yogurt amount exactly as per the recipe from Khanapakana (no onions and no turmeric like you said) and method, the spices and onions are from Robina Taimur of which says his version is Lahori.
    Fenugreek leaves sound great and I'll try that out the next time I cook this, and I hope I could find some.


    微微恩,
    It's actually pita bread, lightly toasted on a pan. I didn't make it, but just used the pita as a photography prop to act like naan. Haha, sorry yea!



    Cookaholic,
    I'm so sorry that I actually do not know how the thing works. I just added the function as a built in gadget from blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,I always like your delicious foods,how you are making us able to make curries by own providing procedures is so amazing,Thank you for posting these information in your blog,its very help full to us again thank you and waiting for your blog...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...