New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bourma - AFF West Asian Pastry #3



Bourma is a rolled pastry made with kataifi/kunafeh.

Quite a challenge to make, haha.
I didn't want to deep fry in oil, but the original way, like how I ate it before, is in fried in ghee. Yummy!






So, I fried it in the oven because I don't have a squarish pan and wanted to save on ghee.
Packaged kataifi is all messy. I can't find any straight clumps to work with, and so.... they look pretty messy when rolled up with no definite direction of the pastry.

The nuts  don't look centered, the pastry is thick and thin in places. But since I can get them rolled up and cooked, I think it's quite alright for a first timer, hehehe.


I had these for breakfast the next few days as rich stuff is better consumed in the morning, with sufficient time for me to use up those calories. They are seriously fattening, haha!

But everything is still about moderation. 2 slices each morning can last me until lunch.

Watch a video of  how it's made here


Bourma
by WendyinKK

200gm kataifi
2/3 cup coarsely chopped cashews
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pistachio
150gm ghee or more
Rosewater shira for drizzling

1. Take around 100gm of kataifi and  arrange them like a rectangle.
2. Put nuts of choice and put them along the center of the pastry.
3. Roll up from an angle, starting from one corner. Tighten the roll by wringing it tight. Trim it if it's needed
4. Place it into a loaf pan.
5. Repeat step (1-4) with balance of kataifi and nuts.
6. Put the ghee on top of the rolls. Bake in preheated oven at 200C, lower heat only (to mimic frying), turning the rolls every 5 minutes after the first 10  minute. Bake them until they look golden.
7. Drain excess ghee from the pan and generously drizzle some shira over.
8. Slice with a sharp knife





I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest West Asia Month

2 comments:

  1. never eat this but from the pix it looks delicious...
    https://comfortandblissfullife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful. If you find that premade kataifi is hard to work with, use phyllo/filo and cut into very thin strips after defrosting, but still rolled up. It is not that hard to do, you will have nice long strips to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...