New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cheezy Baked Wild Rice Hotdish - Rice Week # 2


Many many months back, Gertrude from My Kitchen Snippets organized a simple contest by guessing the flavour of her chiffon. And well, I sort of won it. And she sent me some cupcake liners and a pack of wild rice as my present. Wild rice!!! I never would’ve thought I will get a pack of that. It made a very nice gift, something that we cannot buy here. And finally today(many months back), I got my butt of the couch and cooked a hot dish with the rice. Finishing it at one go!!



Many moons back, I saw on Pei-Lin’s blog a dish called hotdish, made with wild rice. I never would’ve thought, I’d get a chance to try to make this. But when I received the rice from Gert, I knew I had to try this hotdish. After reading through her recipe, I dread at the thought of baking the rice for 1 hour, and that’s with cooked rice and everything else cooked! I even asked Pei-Lin whether I can skip that step and omit the milk. She said, no, baking gives the rice a crust and sort of hold everything together. So, I improvised, reduced the milk and made a cheese topping instead, kekeke, so that I still get a golden crust without that amount of cooking time. Excuses!!!! Actually I just wanted the rice to be cheesy.. kekeke. But then still, 1 hour is definitely too too long to bake cooked rice. My electricity bill is more than RM400/month (2 adults 2 kids at home only), and I do not want to jack it any higher.






Cheezy Baked Wild Rice Hotdish
Recipe adapted from Dodol-Mochi

142gm wild rice
2.5cups water
350gm minced beef (can replace with other meats)
½ tsp ground oregano
Some cooking oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped celery
200gm coarsely chopped fresh button mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
½ tsp salt
1 can Campbell Mushoom Soup (300gm can)
1/3 can of milk (measured with soup can)
Grated mozzarella, as much as you like

1. Rinse wild rice and put into a heavy based pot (can use rice cooker too) and put in water. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cover with lid and cook for 45 minutes until rice kernels puff open. Drain away excess water and set aside.
2. Heat a pan/wok and put in some cooking oil and cook beef and oregano until fragrant and browned. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same wok/pan, put in some butter and sauté onions until translucent. Put in mushrooms and cook until fragrant and wilted. Put in celery and salt, and toss for a few seconds and dish up everything and set aside.
4. Mix cooked wild rice, browned beef and cooked vegetables together. Pour in can of soup and milk. Mix well. Taste, if not salty enough, add more salt, but it’s just nice for me at this point. It gets saltier when baked with cheese, don’t forget that.
5. Spoon rice mixture into greased baking pans and top with grated mozzarella. Bake at 180(fan)/200C until cheese melts and gets golden


Thank you Gert for the rice and thank you Pei-Lin for the recipe. It’s truly a new experience for our whole family.

Added at 12:16pm 14/9/2011: The rice itself tasted like non sticky black glutinous rice, with a nutty aroma. BMS Organics has a different strain of wild rice, which is short like Japanese rice, but dark like this as well. Please google for BMSOrganics chain stores, but I know there's one in Empire Subang and one in Ipoh Garden East next to Signature Kitchen.

24 comments:

  1. Oh...so if I want to try how a? Very nice dish to serve...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reese,
    I saw wild rice in BMS organics. But it's a different strain of rice, it's short like Japanese rice, but black like this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, truly mouth-watering leh! I can only look! First time seeing wild rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh very special and healthy dish! All that cheese will make my kids love this, lol! Wild rice? Have lah, I think I've seen it in KL before...if not I buy some from Sg and pass some to Reese and ask her to pass to u la. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked cheese is ever so delicious! What is the taste of this wild rice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. La penso davvero gustosa questa ricetta, ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rice has never been my favourite but since this is wild and unusual, I would try if got chance:) Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, go to upmarket supermarket to get your wild rice.

    Agree with HSB, my kids will also like this with that awesome cheese toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. busygran,
    You can get them easily in singapore, like what Edith said, from upmarket supermarkets



    Bee,
    Not a very healthy dish! There's quite a substantial amount of sodium in here... Canned soup!



    Mel,
    the best way to describe is a non sticky pulut hitam



    Stefania,
    thanks



    Jeannie,
    Hope u do :)


    Edith,
    I'm afraid Malaysia is very much unlike Singapore.
    Let's talk about apple selection. It's so pathetic here. Green apples are only Granny Smiths, with Golden Delicious only appearing last year.
    There is wild rice here, in organic shops and I only saw them being around.. 2 months back, not any longer.
    I live 300km away from KL and to go to an 'upmarket' supermarket, not that easy. Even getting arborio here is so so difficult, Not all expatriate supermarkets carry it. I'm sure it's common to get arborio in Singapore. There's no peanut butter chips here as well, but I'm sure u get it like so easily there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. think i've seen it before in organic shops. i wonder how do people normally cook this..from the picture looks like black glutinous rice, i would have mistaken these for black glutinuous rice. This is really something that i've never thought of cooking and glad you post it up here. if you are keen on arborio, you can go to indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great way to cook the wild rice, Wendy. They look delicious especially with load of cheese on top. I will get you some arborio and wild rice the next time I go back ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lena,
    Indulgence sell the raw arborio too? I tot they will only cook you that in their rissoto.
    I've bought one pack in BMS organics, have yet to use it.



    Gert,
    It's ok, so paiseh la. My MIL went to US and will be back for CNY :) If I need it I'll ask her to get for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, at times they carry stuffs which we cant find it in supermarkets but not many. I've seen rhubarbs once..and fresh figs also..

    ReplyDelete
  14. lena,
    fresh figs, malaysia punya pokok mana mana pun ada, kekeke. By the roadside only, but we just never pick them to eat. kekekeke.
    Ok, next time I got to go to Indulgence to buy things, my hubby dun like the food there, been there once, spent a bomb, but he said it wasn't worth it, better use the same amount for good shashimi.
    I think they buy bullk so that they can lower costs then sell the extra so that it can be quickly used up. Dry ingredients can be kept, so, I don't think they are in a rush to get rid of it unlike fresh produce. Next round me meet in Indulgence ok, kekeke. My hubby will definitely not step foot into it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yakah? i dont know abt figs leh. Perhaps those are the imported ones, still nicely packed in boxes. Ok , next time we meet in indulgence :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, this is just superb for any occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks absolutely delicious! I've never cooked with wild rice before. This looks like a great warming dish for the winter time :)

    This is one of my favourite blogs, btw. Absolutely LOVE your photos and recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lena,
    Yup, but local ones no one will eat. I think most don't even know they exist, kakaka, next time I point to you which one is a fig tree.


    Bits of Taste,
    Yeah, but not for midnight supper! Too fattening.LOL


    Penguin in the Kitchen,
    thank you for the compliment.
    Try this for winter, try making this in individual portions, feels great when eating directly out of a hot baking dish on a cold winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 如果我住在你家,肯定会肥死了!!!看相片就已经很吸引了,真的要吃肯定停不了口。

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cherry Potato,
    if you stay with me hoh, I'm sure you give me a lot of reasons to bake and cook more with one more mouth to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wendy, this is how I do baked rice with cheese with normal white grain rice....organic wild rice sounds so healthy! Did u use the same amount of water as if u had cooked normal white rice? Would love to try baking with wild rice :-) oh yes, did ur rice stick together well? Sometimes I add a bit of parmesan n mozzarella eith the rice to get that really sticky effect. michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle,
    The amount of water used to cook the rice is stated in the recipe and it is way more than the usual white rice.
    Wild rice on its own is not sticky at all.
    When baked together, it became a whole pile of stuff, quite sticky, I'd day as how you can see from the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello .just asking u say fig tree can be found anywhere in malaysia?
    which one is the fig tree. please help me if u can...i really need fresh fig urgently.

    ReplyDelete
  24. mystique_aeny,
    There are sooooooooo many types of figs in this world. It literally grows everywhere like a weed being spread by birds, on buildings, on trees like a parasite, some have berry like fruits and some are big. Some are grown for ornamental purposes (Ficus elastica) like those in KLCC's park with huge huge thick leaves. Or the Ficus benjamina that is being trimmed to look cute in shapes along roadsides (planted by the council)
    The only type of edible Ficus that I know and was being told it's edible is Ficus roxburghii and you can google to see how it looks. It could be growing in your neighbourhood and I saw it in my town's hospital's garden.
    Not all types are edible, although they are all figs.
    It's safer that you buy some imported ones from places like Jaya Grocer, village grocer or BIG.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...